Tuesday, June 29, 2010

WWOOF

 So I recently heard about the existence of WWOOF. If you don't feel like clicking that link, it's World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms and it's awesome (theoretically). This past Saturday morning before I left Molly's house, she brought up WWOOF in conversation, recounting her friend's awesome experience with it. My verbal reaction to the topic was, "I WANT TO DO THAT."

My mom likes to suggest that I become a farmer on occasion, and I've been off and on working with plants since the summer after my sophomore year of high school. I know there's a lot more to actual farming than what I'm used to doing, but oh how I long to do all that stuff, too. It's easy to romanticize farming. Molly was pretty jazzed about doing WWOOF herself until her mom said, "Molly, you hate soil." The routine of daily farm tasks can become a dread, and unfruitful seasons can be terribly discouraging and economically damaging. Nonetheless, I've kind of put WWOOF into next summer's slot as an if-I-don't-have-a-real-job-yet placeholder. The coolest thing about WWOOF is that it's worldwide. That means I can go farm in Africa or South America or the UK or even just about anywhere in the US. But I'd ideally like to go up to Canada. I have an unexplainable attraction to Canada, and this seems the perfect opportunity to finally get myself up there. Lord willing, I will go.



so much shouting, so much laughter

4 comments:

  1. my sister did it in guatemala, and her friend went to hawaii (i think). GO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I LOVE THIS! I'm going to consider this, and pass it on to my daughter, would would also love to try this. She actually tried to hook up w/ some organic farms in her area, and had a hard time finding them, so this is perfect. Thank you for posting this.

    Stopping by from Shout/Laugh/Love...Shout/Love/Live? I dunno. You get the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooooh... world traveling and supporting organic farming... sounds like a fantastic opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey girl! i found your blog through suzannah! I tried to go WWOOFing recently, but got very very sick before I could start. HUGE bummer, but my boyfriend and I got to explore the program and interact with a few farms in Chile extensively. It's definitely an awesome experience, but it requires a lot of work on your end, and a TON of flexibility. each farm is different, but ive only heard great things from those people who didn't end up hospitalized in south america and got to work : )

    ReplyDelete