Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Two Gardens

Actually, there aren't two gardens. There are two over-sized houses that are partially bordered by Chesapeake Bay waters and are more eminently bordered by several different gardens each. Flower gardens, vegetable gardens, herb gardens. The owners of each of these homes have called for my services in maintaining their numerous gardens. I water, weed, trim, spray, dead-head. It is enjoyable work, and I've expressed how very appreciative I am of the work I have.

This morning it was already sweltering hot when I headed over to the Parkers' house at 8:00. By 10:00, I was dripping in sweat, but I had to drive across the peninsula to water some flowers over at the Dingledines' (yes, that is their last name) house. I watered everywhere, and in the process, I used five different hoses. I'd reached yet another flowering plant with its insignificant label poking up out of the soil in front of it when I decided to sit down for a breather. I thanked God for how beautiful a day it was despite the heat, and I thanked Him again for giving me a job to do. But then I looked down at the water pouring out of the hose and realized my thankfulness isn't reaching outside of just God and me. What I mean is that I sat there watching water, something you can get in a cup for free at most any restaurant, and flashed back to my freshman year of college when a man came to speak at The Gathering, trying to recruit college kids to head over to Africa and build wells. I remember really wanting to go, but of course the cost of the trip was like paying a semester's tuition at college. My point here could be that I take advantage of stuff a lot while others are without some of life's necessities, such as water. That's something we generally try to remind ourselves of as frequently as possible. This time, though, in context to the water--the very very abundant supply of water, I couldn't just sit there feeding an aesthetic plant without feeling a pang of guilt. I wanted to stick the hose into a huge container that I could ship straight across the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean to Africa.

Sometimes the advantage we take becomes a guilt we bear, and I'm praying about when it becomes a step we take. I don't want to pray prayers of thankfulness for *my* beautiful day. I want to pray prayers of thankfulness for yours, too.

so much shouting, so much laughter

This post is part of ShoutLaughLove. :)

5 comments:

  1. this is so thoughtful. i love your outward focus and the idea of praying for steps to take.

    thanks for linking up!

    (i need to weed our gardens, too--it's a veritable jungle out there;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm learning to have a more outward looking focus. This post definitely rings true with the things my heart has been pondering!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, what a timely post. I've been learning lately about what it means to be part of a body of believers and not just rejoice in the fact that Christ died for *me*. I guess the relevance of this thought comes in when you said that "want to pray prayers of thankfulness for yours, too". Praise God that not only am I offered salvation but you are too Katie Jones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your last paragraph. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why it posted twice...(sigh), I dunno.

    ReplyDelete