Monday, January 31, 2011

A Message I Sent to a Friend

I just read part of an article about "hipster faith" that one of my high school friends wrote about on his Tumblr and sent the link to Sally along with my own attached message to her. I'm putting it here as a reminder to myself.

"I was reading this thinking about my own tendency to betray the uncomfortable stigmatized norm of Christianity in our country, which I know we've discussed to some extent. I've been convicted recently about how scary it is to step into the extreme of this so-called "hipster faith" (or certain variants thereof), which I recognize as being more appealing to me if I don't check myself and my priorities. If anything, this article just reminds me how necessary it is to be constantly checking ourselves in a manner open to necessary conviction rather than settling on a new "right" way. I don't think hipster faith is really terrible unless it is only being performed for selfish ends, which I know it often can be for me when I start straying into looser practices. We're always gonna find something to point at in every Christian practice and say that it's wrong. The only way to deal with that reality is to be open to seeing where we're wrong as individuals and within our groups in order to fight hypocrisy and strive for the servant attitude of Jesus. I'm starting to see how much more constructive that would be than constantly pointing fingers of blame, which is all I ever want to do. I don't want to be sick of the church and not be able to do anything about it. I would rather be sick of the state of my own soul and then work with God to see a change there first."

No comments:

Post a Comment