Saturday, December 18, 2010

the post in which i admire many women, becca admires few

It's probably time for this blog to get out of my crazy head for a moment, especially since I get to spill it all out to my doctor in a couple of days anyway. So here, enjoy some lists Becca and I put together including some of our favorite women OF ALL TIME and why we love them. It starts with my faves, moves onto Becca's faves, and concludes with our joint faves. I typed for Becca while she spoke her reasoning to me, so according to her that's why she sounds like a five-year-old.

Katie's List 

Zooey Deschanel 

 










I didn't notice her much until she started She & Him with M. Ward. I was talking to an old high school friend about their single, "Why Do You Let Me Stay Here?" and after watching the video, I fell in love with her personality. She's very free and spunky and adorable. She chooses excellent roles in films (especially (500) Days of Summer).

Daria










I watched Daria when I it aired on MTV, so I was really young, which is really strange. I don't know that I could really relate to her back then, but now I simply love her dry sarcasm and general whatever attitude. She doesn't take things too seriously, but when she does care about something she doesn't hide it and makes a point of doing something about it.

Jenny Lewis











Her band Rilo Kiley opened for Coldplay when I went to see them early on in high school, and I LOVED her music. That was back in the day that she was doing fun indie pop music, which is probably my favorite genre of music. Her lyrics can be kind of strange, but by nature of indie lyrics they're honest. And I can respect that about her.

Meg from Hercules









This probably doesn't come as much of a surprise to those who know me. She's the only Disney "princess" who isn't some sort of perfect female archetype that appeals to our ideals in women. Meg is raw and real with her angst and she, too, has a wonderful dry sarcasm. Apparently that quality will put anyone on my list. Excellent.

Becca












This explains most of it.
I also say "likewise" to most of her reasons for putting me on this list. I love her sense of humor, and I love that she can always understand and appreciate mine, even when it is simply psychotic. She's my best friend. Ever. She's my Gayle. ;)

Sylvia Plath












Yes, another sick twisted woman on my list. Would you really expect anything else? I loved Sylvia Plath in high school when I read The Bell Jar twice. And I don't usually read books twice... or once. I also have her collection of poems, Ariel, and I am mostly intrigued by the way she views life through the fog of her depression. I know that sounds creepy, but it's true. It fascinates me. This is my favorite poem of hers.

Bones 












Yes, as in Temperance Brennan from the television show. I like her Vulcan qualities and how unknowingly hilarious she is all the time. And yes, there are both Deschanel ladies on my list.


Becca's List

 Katie













Isn't it obvious?!?!?! She is the only one who completely understands my sense of humor, which is very important. There are so many times that I'll think something is hilarious but I can't share it with anyone because they'll think I'm stupid. But I know Katie will appreciate it (like QWOP). There are several other things I like about Katie. It's hard to think of them all right now. She doesn't judge me like all my other family members would, so I tell her more than I tell anyone else. She's my Oprah.

Anne Hathaway (minus all of her naked things)












When she's not naked, she is a classy individual. She is articulate and funny.

Anne of Green Gables












She's like the friend I wanted but I never had because she makes everything fun... cuz I don't know how to make things fun. Also, she loves to read and that's cool.

Belle











Another reader!!!!!!! I like that she's thoughtful (I love thoughtful people), and she is loyal, too.


 SHARED LIST

Ayn Rand













Becca's reasoning:
I like her because she knows how to think reasonably and put it all into an entertaining novel form. Not many people can do that. I like the whole worldview she has, but she needs to add God. Otherwise, it's really good.
Katie's reasoning:
I agree with Becca's reasoning entirely. I wrote a 10-page research paper on Ayn Rand's philosophy, Objectivism, in my 10th grade English class. I was fresh off reading both The Fountainhead in 9th grade and Atlas Shrugged in 10th grade. She reveals how ridiculous a lot of our conventions are, but yeah, like Becca said, she does miss the whole actual reason for man.

Deb

















Becca's reasoning: 
She was the first best friend I ever had! I would always copy all the stuff that she did when we went through school because I thought, "That's such a good idea!" And I'd always do it. I like that she is so different from everyone else, and she's proud of it. I like that she likes me, because if Deborah likes you it's glowing praise.
Katie's reasoning:
She wasn't the first best friend I ever had! In fact, she despised me as a child, but I also looked up to her and copied what she did a lot because she was sodangcool. I do like her confidence and her competence in doing all of what she pursues. She also made the most adorable baby ever. Congrats.

Mom
Becca's reasoning: 
She carried me in her womb and gave life to me. She likes to make my life easier for me, WHICH IS AWESOME. I like that she treats me like an adult (most of the time) and can actually joke around and have a real relationship with me now instead of being disciplinarian mom. She was a really good mom during the time period when she needed to worry about raising us correctly, but I like now that we've been raised and we can just talk like regular people.

Katie's reasoning:
I also love that I can joke around with her these days and see just how weird she is and probably always has been. I like it when I recognize funny quirks I got from her. Though her concern for my life can become extremely overwhelming, I still do appreciate how much she loves me and wants the absolute best for me all the time.

















Pictured above are Grandma Phyllis on the left and Mom on the right during a friendly game of croquet (that Mom beasted).

Grandma Phyllis
Becca's reasoning: 
I admire her relationship with God. I feel like I'll never have that, but I'd like to. I like that she doesn't choose favorites among her grandchildren. She makes super good food. Food is really important to me, so this is a big deal.

Katie's reasoning: 
She's wicked awesome. My sisters and I like to say she reminds us of Julie Andrews. They do have certain similarities in mannerisms as well as personality and interactions with people. So if you love Julie Andrews, you would love grandma. But even if you don't, you'd probably still love grandma. She's precious.

5 comments:

  1. Yay! I agree with so many of these! I'm glad you put Bones on there. I wish I was her. Also Ayn Rand/Dagny Taggart (I am like 99% sure Ayn wrote Dagny modeled after herself). It sucks that I didn't get a mushy gushy description like everyone else, but I guess that's what I get for being mean for 90% of my life, haha.

    I do, however, agree that I should be admired. Hahahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this whole list is made of awesome! the oprah/gayle comparisons are just so fitting ;)

    I also agree that Deb should be admired.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! This is fantastic. I learned yesterday that Bones and Summer are sisters when they're not fictional characters and I really wanted to tell you, but then I figured you already knew that. And I was right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Candice! Mine is the only blog you officially follow! Well done. Sadie doesn't even follow my blog, and I am ridiculously bitter about it. :)

    ReplyDelete