Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Today I Experienced

Quite An Exchange. I gave blood today in return for a how-to-choose-your-career formula. As Michael was draining the life out of me, he asked me what my major is. -Math. -What do you plan on doing after college? -I don't know. -You don't know? Have you tried to figure that out? -Not really, but I figure I'll know when I need to know. -That's no way to go about it. -Well, what do you suggest? -Well in order to get the answers you want, you have to ask the right questions. See, the smartest man is not the one who knows the answer but the one who asks the right question. -I see... so what is the right question? -Well to start off, you have to ask yourself: "Who am I?" -Can you ever really know who you are? I mean, all that self-actualization business and always learning new things about yourself stuff kinda makes it seem like you can't ever really know. -Yeah, but it all boils down to that one something that defines who you are. -Yeah, that's not obscure at all... -It's not. -Hm, okay. -The second question you should ask yourself is: "What can I do?" -That makes sense. -Yes, and you can't let your friends or money or anything like that lead you to your decision. You have to make the decision for yourself. For who you are and what you can do. If anything, this conversation let me know I do need to pull myself back into the here and now and keep my head from getting too clouded by the "what-if"s of life and God and stuff. I think there's a time for both. Right now I'm cloudy, but there's usually clear sky ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment