Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Doubting Thomas?

So. It's really weird to look back on my Ecclesiastes blog and then read some of the things I've been writing recently (obviously, these recent things are not on my blog). I've been going through a bit of a spiritual detox that I have a lot of trouble articulating to anyone, including myself. Plus, I'm terrified to articulate these thoughts because they're not exactly Biblically-sound. I've been reading An Unlikely Disciple: A Sinner's Semester at America's Holiest University by Kevin Roose. The book is about Kevin, an undergrad student at Brown University, attending Liberty University for one semester as a sort of "study abroad" experience. He was raised a Quaker pacifist, so what brought him to Liberty was intellectual intrigue... and he is an aspiring journalist, so he made his experience into a sort of anthropological ethnographic endeavor. As an undercover Christian, he discovers a lot of interesting things about evangelical Christians and also, inevitably, about himself. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the book, so I'm not sure where Kevin ends up spiritually. He touches on a lot of things about Christians that have been baffling me as well. I'll pull a snippet from my recent journaling that gives a bit of an overall picture to the state of my soul: "I figure if this Christian God is real and he loves me and his love can never let me go as Paul says in Romans, then so be it. I’m in no real danger, right? “No power of hell, no scheme of man can ever pluck me from His hand.” So really, I have nothing to lose being where I am, and this does bring me some solace in the midst of my inner turmoil. Eh, it’s not really turmoil. I’m just being dramatic at this point. 21 is definitely the age for identity crisis and confusion, so I’m just following the typical life strokes I suppose. In any case, it’s been an enlightening experience, and I don’t see an end to it all just yet. Perhaps an ending isn’t what I’m looking for." I've confided a lot in a couple of people and a little bit in one or two others. One of the things that stood out in Roose's book was when he discussed a debate that went on between one of Liberty's professors and a group of atheists. The atheists basically destroyed the Liberty professor in the debate, and Roose noticed it shook some of the students' faith. He almost expected the whole student body to slowly drop this whole God thing, but when everything seemed to be rolling along back to normal very soon after the debate he figured it could have something to do with the inconvenience of dropping out of faith in God. And I believe he's right about that. I've definitely thought about repercussions that could result from my period of weakened faith, and for the most part it terrifies me. I was kinda born into the mindset I've possessed for the first 20 years of my life. Thinking about going back to UMW with my thoughts had my stomach in knots. I've integrated myself so much into the Christian community, and while I know my friends wouldn't abandon me because of where I stand spiritually I would still be suffering a serious disconnect with all of them now that my relationships wouldn't be so strongly "built on Christ's love." I was thinking about leaving UMW for health school before my questioning even began in order to follow the dreams I had before coming to college. While my fear didn't have anything to do with my decision to transfer out of UMW, I have to admit it's a huge relief not to have to face a lot of discomfort I may have been heading toward. That isn't to say I won't miss my friends intensely, because I definitely will. I plan on continuing to build the relationships I've developed. And so there's really no conclusion to all of this rambling. I haven't dismissed the Christian God as improbable, and I haven't dismissed the general notion of God whatsoever. I told one Christian friend this: "I've gone through and am still going through a lot of pretty serious doubting, but I have a hard time really explaining it. It's not so much of an abandoning my faith sort of doubting as it is a stripping my faith to its raw core sort of doubting." And I still stand by that assessment. Uh, inconclusive conclusion, but I should stop myself before I head toward another invisible resolution.

6 comments:

  1. Dude, you have friends who would think less of you if you weren't a Christian? That's..sad.. :/ When I was an atheist I had plenty of Christian friends, and they didn't shoot me down for it or try to force me into believing..they were just excited when I figured things out for myself.

    "Perhaps an ending isn’t what I’m looking for."

    I definitely don't think there's an ending to a relationship with God..just like a relationship with a person, it's always being strengthened or weakened, right? You don't just BELIEVE and then that's that..that'd be lame blind faith. I think everyone's belief in God should make perfect sense to them, and that requires work, right? Doubting and working at your faith just makes it stronger, I would think, eventually..maybe you want to read up on other religions too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with A.R.K., who I'm pretty sure I should know. So A.R.K., I'm probably going to head to your blog and creep around, okay?

    In response to your question, A.R.K, not this friend. The friend who is so deeply saddened to not have such a genuine, honest, kind person as her roommate next year. Katie, your honesty rocks me to my core and inspires me. I've needed someone to be that real about their struggle, to know that I'm not alone. Because girl, I'm kind of right there with you. "kind of" meaning I don't even have as much going on in my life-- what with your knee and the school thing-- and still i have this nagging doubt that I wish I could dismiss or combat.

    Thank you for actively confronting it and for not being settled with surface level. I get that. And I want to know how to best continue to strengthen our friendship. Wherever you are-- physically or spiritually. Know that always.

    I say I'm sad about you not being there this semester. And that part it so true. i will miss you. Not the you that you think everyone expects you to be or the you you think you should be. I'll miss that deep down honest you. And I already feel the void there. You wouldn't have let me down, I can promise you that.

    That said, I'm excited for you. And I am in no way angry or upset at the turn of events because I so want you to do what you're passionate about. I believe there is a place where passion meets purpose in life and it's where you are most useful and therefore just more joyful. It's hard to imagine a more joyous you, but I can't wait to see it.

    I don't know what's made me take so long to respond to you about the whole UMW situation, but I suppose it's that I don't want to sound too shallow or surface level or phony. There is a reason all of this has happened in this time because you should know that I probably wouldn't have come back to UMW this year had it not been for you and the providence of God so clearly displayed to me at the time through finding you so quickly and, dare I say, easily.

    But being a Christian isn't about it being all easy. Which is hard for me to say because I know that I do have it all so easy. So how do I be a sincere, matured Christian, given that it's not supposed to be easy? All I know is that it's not that finding you as a roommate "easily" reaffirmed my calling to UMW, it was finding you so purposefully. So right when I needed it, right when I was broken.

    But it's not all about me. And though I will miss a lot of things about the idea of being your roommate, I just wanted you to know that the plans were not futile. They served a huge purpose. They taught me a lot and you continue to teach me a lot, even in the so little communication we've had this summer.

    So just as I found just what I needed to when I needed it, I am earnestly, sincerely praying that you are too. And I want you to remain free of any stomach churning that would have resulted from being somewhere you knew you weren't supposed to be.

    Like I said, i'm in a doubting place too. But you just in being you and being used by God were a for real answer to prayer and calmer of my doubts. And a reminder that God does meet needs. A reminder I keep having to remind myself of in this drought.

    Peace be with you, friend.

    And there will forever be a big bed waiting. Just so you know.

    "If I weep let it be as a (woman) who is longing for (her) home." I long for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda, I don't think I have friends who would think less of me if I were a Christian. I don't remember saying that, but maybe I accidentally left it available as a possible implication. I just know that a lot of my relationships with my Christian friends are built on keeping each other accountable in our faith, including encouraging each other to do all things for God's glory. I don't doubt that my friends would all still love me. I suppose I was pointing more toward the mystery of how my relationships would be shaped.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Katie--
    Thank you for this post. I *think* I can relate. Prior to me coming to the BCM during your freshman year I was going thru something very similar. I was raised in a Christian home and came to know Christ when I was in middle school. Yet at the end of high school and thru the first two years of college I came to doubt Christ and later even deny him. I do agree with your friend Amanda that for me doubting and working at my faith made it so much stronger.

    You remind me of my husband. He is very grounded in theology, the Bible, and loves to study Christianity. Yet in high school he started to doubt and later became an agonistic. After six years he has finally started to pray to God again and that is one of the happiest moments of my life.

    Katie, you are in my thoughts and in my prayers. Thank you for being so incredibly honest on something as public as a blog. It truly was inspiring. I rarely talk about Mikes faith at the BCM for fear of judgement--to have you so openly write about it amazes me to no end.

    Gillian

    (I also hope you don't think that I am claiming to know exactly where you are in your faith and thoughts because certainly I don't.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. May I first say that I am so excited that you are blogging? Since we really didn't get a chance when I was in Mathews to have a down-and-dirty tete-a-tete (don't ask about the phraseology right now, it's late), this blog here gives me an idea that there is so much more that we have to discuss. If you will look to my most recent blog post, you can see how awesome I am at helping people through these periods of doubt (*ahem* not really). I just trust that there's something bigger than me out there that can say what I can't put into words. It's all about prayer...K.Mat would so be "amening" that statement right now. Is Amening a verb? I just made it one. It really is late as you can probably tell. I'm starting to have that fuzzy brain feeling that comes around this time and makes me say weird things. Like those creatures that Luna Lovegood mentions that I can't remember the name of right now...so excited to see you when I finish Impact.

    Just remember: God is Great, Beer is Good, People are Crazy.
    I shall explain this comment laterz.

    Love you!
    And Becca!
    :)
    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete